Perez-Pedini C, Limbrunner JF, Vogel RM (2005) “Optimal location of infiltration-based best management practices for storm water management,” JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT, 131(6) pp. 441-448
The article presents a very interesting application of optimization techniques to study location of BMPs and its impacts of storm water management. A genetic algorithm was used to determine the optimal location of infiltration-based BMP’s. A distributed hydrologic model was used to simulate a 6400 ha watershed. The components of hydrological cycle considered in the simulation were precipitation, runoff, infiltration and groundwater flow. The rainfall-runoff separation method was the SCS-Curve Number. The BMP was introduced in the model by a binary integer decision variable that decreases the CN of a hydrological response unit (HFR) in five units.
Discussion
Under the perspective of storm water management and planning, the article presents a very useful tool. However, some issues related to the methodology seems unclear to me. The first one is related to how the infiltration BMP was modeled. Reduction of CN in five units could also be achieved by other kinds of measurements, like land use change, for example. Besides that, there are different kinds of infiltration BMPS (infiltration basins, trenches, pervious pavements etc) with different characteristics, efficiencies and costs. The article doesn’t address these issues properly in my opinion.

Marcio, I agree with you. I thought the paper was good for a prilimary case, it will not suit well for watershed with different land uses. As they have assumed land use to be saem for all the HRU's which is not quite practical in real sense.
ResponderExcluirChandana-
ResponderExcluirI think the article states that they determined CN by looking at land use for each area. Nonetheless, I do agree with your questions about the assumed 5 CN reduction for implementing a BMP. I think we will discuss that in class because it is really the primary problem I see with the paper.
Tyson